Parenting Tactics That Will Raise Confident Teenage Daughters
Raising a confident young woman in today’s day and age can feel more difficult than ever before. However, there are some steps that you can take to try and instil self-esteem in your daughter. Read on to discover more.
- Practice positive reinforcements – There is only one place to begin, and this by ensuring your daughter’s positive behaviours are reinforced by letting her know whenever she has done something well. However, do not simply say ‘nice job’ or ‘well done.’ Instead, you need to acknowledge the hard work that she has put in to achieve this success. Acknowledge her efforts, do not merely acknowledge the end result.
- Set clear expectations – It is a good idea to make sure you are clear with your expectations. Instead of saying “get better grades” or “get the chores down,” you should set expectations that are clear regarding what you would like to see from her. For example, you could say to her that you would like her to vacuum the living room or to do the dishes. Being more specific helps a person to perform better and it makes them feel more confident.
- Make sure you have candid communication with your daughter – This is an important one! It is critical to have an open-door policy in your home. This means your daughter is going to feel comfortable talking with you about anything, from relationships to work to school. Daughters are bound to have greater confidence if they have an open and healthy relationship with their parents, as they will have someone to confide in. Whenever they are feeling worried or down, they will be able to talk to you before it manifests into a bigger issue.
- Encourage your daughter to work – Whether the work is paid or unpaid, you need to encourage your daughter to take on responsibilities outside of school and the home. Having a job is going to assist her in terms of giving her a sense of purpose and developing discipline, which is the ideal recipe for boosting self-confidence.
- Validate and empathise with the experiences your daughter has – Whenever your daughter talks to you about her experiences, whether negative or positive, you need to trust in what she says and validate these experiences. You can do this by sharing any relevant and appropriate stories of your own with her, as well as by emphasising. For example, if your daughter gets rejected from her first university application or she goes through her first heartbreak, you can remind her that she will get through it because you have been through it and you got through it as well.
So there you have it: some different tactics that you can use in order to raise a confident teenage daughter. There is no denying that the world we live in today makes this a difficult task. However, if you follow the advice that has been provided, you will give yourself a great chance of ensuring your daughter has all of the confidence she needs.